Our sweet little Zee Family blog has been nominated for the Liebster Award!
Fellow Momma Jess from Give me Strength, a heart-felt blogger, warrior, balancer of all crazy things in this life, put this blog on a growing list of talented, funny, beautiful people in the blogging community to have received this acknowledgement.
The Liebster Award is meant to encourage and promote other bloggers within the blogging community. “Liebster,” a German word, means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, lovely, pleasant, valued or welcome.
First, let me take a moment and tell you about Jess. Our paths crossed only briefly in person, but despite both of us moving, adding some kids, changing our lives all around and up and down, we’ve kept in touch thanks to social media. Jess started blogging just a few months ago. I’ll never forget her FaceBook post that basically said, “Thinking about a blog… should I?”
YES, I screamed into my phone’s FB app.
And then I proceeded to write a probably very long response comment about how it is a calming therapy for me and how much I would love to see what she had to say. She did not disappoint. Her blog absolutely lives up to the tagline “laughter and encouragement…” She writes consistently, which I appreciate, and honestly, which I admire. She has made me think for hours after I leave her page and I’m off doing some chore or task.
So, thank you, Jess.
OK, so this award has rules! And I’m trying desperately to be a rule follower, not breaker, in my old age!
1. Acknowledge the blog who nominated you. (Done!)
2. Answer 11 questions the blogger gives you. (Next!)
3. Give 11 facts about yourself. (oooooh!)
4. Nominate 11 other blogs. (So, they’re supposed to have less than 200 followers — some of mine have more than that and some I don’t know! So I might be breaking a rule! AH!)
5. Let them know you nominated them.
6. Give those bloggers 11 questions to answer.
Alright. Here are my questions from Jess and my answers:
1. What is the one thing that you want most to accomplish this year?
Balance. Did I answer that too quickly? I’m getting much better at it all — mom, wife, housewife, photographer, Mary Kay, family, friends… sometimes I can’t do it very well in one day or one week, and often, I forget to take care of me! I’m highly considering a day or weekend completely away and all by myself, disconnected! GASP!
2. What is your favorite quality about yourself?
I’m caring about others, almost to a fault. I love making people happy, I love the idea of memories and traditions. Sometimes, I definitely set expectations too high.
3. What is something that is guaranteed to make you laugh?
Addie-isms. That girl thinks of the craziest things. This morning, she said she had to go see Santa. When I asked why, she responded with, “Santa sing with me.” What??? Just now, she handed me her empty snack bowl. “I please, I just, it’s just I want more fishes.”
4. When you want/need to relax, what do you do?
Oh man, relaxing rocks! I like any and all of the following: coffee or tea, a good book, an old classic movie, crocheting, a walk or run outside, taking photos, calling someone just because, or just a random drive.
5. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
I’m not very original! Last name starts with “z!” Zee Family! In the very beginning of this blog (I actually had two earlier versions of this blog!), I even did things like “zee baby” and “zee house” — man that got old really quickly!
6. What or who inspired you to begin blogging?
Keeping in touch with long-distance loved ones and creating sort of a virtual recap of our day-to-day lives for the kids to enjoy one day.
7. Name your guilty pleasure.
M&Ms. I have entire bags of them, various flavors, hidden. I don’t eat a lot at once, but man oh man do I LOVE them. (Please e-mail for address and favorite flavors, haha just kidding!)
8. What is your least favorite household chore?
Either emptying the dishwasher or putting laundry away. I love washing dishes by hand and I really don’t mind doing or folding laundry. But I hate putting all those nice warm clean things away! Weird.
9. Do you utilize social media as a blogger? If so, how?
A bit here and there for this blog, mostly just on FaceBook. With my photography blog and business, I use Pinterest (to share ideas with future clients), Instagram (to share a lot of behind-the-scenes moments) and FaceBook.
10. To date, what would you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?
Being a Mom. Seriously, this is a great job. Super difficult. So frustrating sometimes. Always questioning yourself. But I love every moment I have with Z & A.
11. Where is your favorite place to shop?
Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of Etsy shopping, but typically I HATE shopping. My most recent purchases are 90% for my photography or for someone else!
My 11 random facts:
1.I have an insanely blended/mixed family. Dad, stepmom, two stepsisters, a half-sister, a half-brother and a gaggle of nieces and nephews. I grew up with an entire family that I wasn’t even related to and I LOVE them beyond words because blood never mattered.
2. I am so addicted to coffee. I typically have at least two to three good-sized cups a day. A couple of times a week, that goes WAY up. I couldn’t even quit 100% during my pregnancies. Doctor said all of the side effects were not worth it, so I went down to one cup of caffeinated and sometimes a decaf or half-half cup.
3. Despite my love of coffee, I’ve never been to the coffee shop that’s literally like five blocks from the house. I need to do that.
4. I’ve never had a speeding ticket…
5. … because I’ve talked my way out of them.
6. I love Wikipedia and IMDB. I will Wikipedia at least five or six times a day. (Who’s that guy in the commercial? Can a conjoined twin have a child? Where is most of the world’s heroin made?)
7. New England is my favorite place in the world. I love the history, the culture, all the great writers from there. And I love lots of snow and mountains.
8. Despite my love for reading, my lowest grade in my first 12 years of schooling came from 6th Grade Reading. Ms. Grob said I was terrible at comprehending what I read. I cried over that C+ for a solid week.
9. Hurdling was a bad life decision. I did it to help out my team my senior year of high school. I absolutely sucked at it, first of all. But, because my technique was so poor, I wound up getting a torn hip flexor on one side and bursitis in both hips. I feel it to this day. Also, one day I ran into a hurdle so hard that I fell back completely onto the track and tried to regroup before anyone noticed. But my blood-soaked body and limp gave me away.
10. I love to laugh. I’ve been known to belly-laugh and snort.
11. Nicknames include: Wendell, Coal Car, Gemela, Dubya, Breezy, Baby Girl, Pookie.
The questions I’m sending to my favorite bloggers:
1. What has been the biggest surprise in your blogging journey so far?
2. What three things in a “typical day” make you happiest?
3. Share a favorite photo with you in it.
4. Where’s your favorite getaway?
5. What most concerns you about the next generation?
6. Do you have a favorite Christmas tradition?
7. Name three fears.
8. Who was the last person to encourage you and how?
9. What’s been the most important lesson you’ve learned this year?
10. Where do you see your blog in five years?
11. Have you ever hit “publish” on a post you regret?
And finally, my nominees for the Liebster Award:
Barren to Beauitful
The Life and Writings of Kate Baer
Give Me Strength (Jess, I had to send it right back to you, I’m sorry!)
Tales From the Trenches
Our Epic Story
Nicole Schwalm Photography
When the Heart Speaks
Mommy Life After PhD